Monday, May 20, 2013

Dont Blame the Teacher: Sign Word Basketball

Sight Word Basketball 

I wanted to come up with a way to practice sight words that involved movement and fun.  Sight words themselves can be pretty boring unless we give them a spark, so that was my goal.
Sight word basketball was born.  I began with a bag of those small plastic balls similar to the ones you would find in a ball pit.  I had 100 balls total in six different colors.  I then selected the sixteen most challenging sight words from our list.  (I did not choose “a,” for example, but I did choose “said.”)  I then wrote each of the sixteen words on to each color of ball.  In other words, I created six different sets of the sight words.  I placed each set in a shallow tray (I had some trays, and used copy paper box lids for the rest.)
IMG_4822IMG_4823

IMG_4821
Finally, I placed a large tub in the middle of the room to act as the basketball hoop.
IMG_4820
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment